Q: How do you become a Certified Registered Central Service Technician (CRCST)?
A: There are a few different options for people that wish to become certified. Each is briefly reviewed below:
- Online Course – Purdue University in partnership with IAHCSMM offers an online course that is designed to prepare Central Service Technicians for the CRCST exam. You can find out more about that course by visiting https://www.distance.purdue.edu/training/cssp/
- Distance Learning Course – Purdue University in partnership with IAHCSMM offers a traditional correspondence course that is designed to prepare Central Service Technicians for the CRCST exam. You can find out more by visiting https://www.distance.purdue.edu/training/cssp/
- Self Study – You may also purchase the study materials (boxed course with textbook and accompanying workbook) and study on your own to prepare for the CRCST exam
All of the options above require a 400 hour hands-on experience component. That hands-on experience component is developed to provide you with a set amount of experience in a variety of common Central Service job duties.
So there are three steps to certification:
- Study the materials (through a formal class or on your own).
- Complete the required 400 hours of hands-on experience.
- Successfully complete the CRCST certification exam.
Q: Do I have to be CRCST before becoming a CHL or CIS?
A: Yes! Current CRCST certification is required before you can take the exam for either the CHL or CIS certifications